The New York City housing market can be overwhelming, but Columbia is dedicated to helping its students find safe, affordable housing. Incoming Columbia Engineering Graduate students can leverage the following resources to secure housing, both On and Off-campus. Please keep in mind that Columbia Housing is highly competitive with the majority of our masters students living off-campus. 

General Information

The Fall 2023 Application is now open. 

Please see below for instructions on how to apply. 

Questions or concerns: [email protected]

Fall 2023 Incoming Students

  • Within two weeks from your acceptance, receive an email from the Office of Engineering Student Affairs to your personal e-mail address (provided during the application process).
  • This email will contain your PID, UNI, and a link to the housing application, via My Housing Portal.
  • If you do not receive this e-mail within two weeks, please contact to inquire further.
  • Priority is given to incoming doctoral students. Allocation and notification are typically made late in the Spring Semester.

Continuing Students

  • If you had applied for housing as a new student, your account should remain active.
  • You must be logged into LionMail to view the code. Your PID can be found in SSOL.
  • Please be advised that continuing students are usually placed on the waitlist. Learn more about the waitlist process.
  • Allocation and notification are typically made late in the Spring Semester.

Approved Housing Applications

Approved Applications

  • If you decline the housing offer, you will lose your on-campus housing approval.
  • Students will have the opportunity to transfer to other housing twice a year if necessary. However, applications for transfer are not guaranteed. 
  • Students wishing to change from single to couples housing will have the opportunity to transfer later in their tenure through the usual transfer process with University Apartment Housing.

Conditions required to maintain on campus housing status

  • Full-time student status (12 credits per term) during the academic year.
  • Housing is granted for a maximum of 5 years or the length of your original admitted degree program (whichever is less). 
  • MS-Track and/or PhD students enrolled in the degree program beyond the maximum housing limit must petition to request a housing extension through the Office of Graduate Student Services.

Approved Students Must Reapply for Housing in the Following Conditions

  • MS-only students - if they later apply to an advanced degree beyond the MS level (i.e., PhD program).
  • If admitted to a new academic department within SEAS (i.e., Mechanical to IEOR).
  • Failing to graduate within designated term while enrolled in housing.
  • When returning from a Leave of Absence.
  • Withdrawing from an academic program.
  • Upon graduation.


Apply for housing, request a transfer, get building information, and more.


February 1 – Fall housing application opens

March 1 – School allocation approvals begin for Fall housing 

April 1 – Fall Housing selection begins for approved students 

May 1 – Earliest move-in date for Fall move-ins

May 20 – Engineering Deadline for doctoral students' housing application submission 

May 23 – Housing Allocations begin for master's students.  

June 8 – School allocation approvals end for Fall housing 

June 15 – Fall housing Waitlist opens 

June 30 – Last day to cancel a Fall housing offer and receive a refund of the reservation fee 

September 23 – Fall application closes & last day of fall waitlist housing selection

September 30 – Last day for fall move-ins

Columbia Off-Campus Housing Assistance Office

The Columbia University Off-Campus Housing Assistance office helps students find safe, convenient, and cost-effective rentals for all students studying at the university.  The office also supports students with sublet questions, finding roommates and other important housing questions.


International House (I-House)

International House is a vibrant residence and program center of more than 700 graduate students and trainees representing more than 100 countries. It is perhaps the most culturally diverse student community in all of New York City. An independent, non-profit organization, I-House fosters daily interaction among its residents through an array of programs, attractive facilities and residential life designed to foster diversity of thought and experience.

Temporary Housing

The Office of Engineering Student Affairs has aggregated some temporary housing resources across New York City. All accommodations are made between the guests and establishments. University staff does not offer assistance with bookings and is not responsible for any arrangements made with the listed establishments.

Columbia Engineering Housing Contacts


[email protected] (NEW/INCOMING STUDENTS)
[email protected] (RETURNING STUDENTS ONLY)

Housing Message Boards

Columbia Engineering - Housing Search is a group page hosted on and monitored by Engineering Student Affairs.


Call Public Safety at (212) 854-5555